Sunday 17 June 2012

First river trip of the new season. 17-06-12

Popped down to some of my old haunts
on the Bristol Frome today.
Trotting a
Drennan No 2 Avon float
on 6lb main line
to size 14 hook on 3lb hook length.
Started on my usual Chub swin,
Failed to catch a Chub but managed
4 small Roach and 3 Dace plus the usual Minnows. 
 That swim died off as expected
so moved down stream 50 or so mtrs
that failed to produce anything.
Another move to below a weir 
produced 7 chub to 1/2lb plus more Roach again to 1/2lb.
 Another move and no bites until 
I changed to bread flake.
Then the Chub really switched on.
Using my new Maver 12ft Abyss X match rod
with Okuma Sheffield S 1002
Centre Pin reel,
I trotted along the flow crease.
The chub were taking the flake on the drop
giving a good scrap.
The best was 1lb 9oz, 
really plump.
Maggot was the other bait used.

Watch out! Loads of people and dogs
use the paths. So fish it early or late
and on rainy days for best results. 

No comments: